About Me

Saturday, April 6, 2013

The "Describe Your Skin" Question



I'm always perplexed by how much to go into detail on that question on those forms they make you fill out when you're a new client at a spa. Often, I find myself fibbing ever so slightly, mainly for the sake of brevity. After all, they only give you two lines, if that. I most recently put "sensitive, combination to dry, acne-prone." 

Let's start with the first one: sensitive. My skin is not sensitive in the traditional sense. I have not always had sensitive skin. As far as I can remember, up through the end of high school when I went on the pill, I could put just about anything on my skin and be fine. This had led me to ask more than one doctor if going on the pill could have something to do with it, and they usually respond, "well, it's unlikely, but maybe, the pill can really change your body." No shit. 

Another doctor randomly scratched my arm with his pen cap during the middle of an examination. Because it wasn't still red a few minutes later, he ruled out hypersensitive skin, then proceeded to talk about some extremely rare type of cancer that I might have simply because I was turning red because I was nervous and didn't like the way the examination was going. Needless to say I never saw him again.

Products labeled "sensitive skin" 99% of the time do not work for me. It could just be that "sensitive skin" products generally contain harsh chemicals despite their misleading labeling. 

Moving on to "combination to dry."  My skin is dry and flaky, pretty much everywhere. But, I still get shiny fairly easily (lucky me). Two estheticians within the past few years have told me that my skin is "dehydrated." One offered no explanation, but the more recent one blamed my cleanser, a lack of proper exfoliation and dead skin building up, which can also cause acne. I guess that's plausible. I bought the exfoliant she suggested and we'll see if there's any changes in my skin over the next few weeks.

And finally, the dreaded acne, which I am still getting at the ripe old age of 26. I've been told that what I have is hormonal acne, since it's mainly around my mouth and chin, and that switching to a different pill or going off it completely would probably make a big difference. Well, I kind of love being on the pill. What's a girl to do? Try every skincare product out there for acne -- check.

All that said, I feel like my esthetician never really gets an accurate picture of my skin because there's only so much I can fit on that card and I don't want to scare them away. But then again, maybe that's all they need. It's not like I'm expecting them to "cure" my skin. I'd rather save my miracles for the bigger fish to fry, anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment